Lack of updates for more than a month, is this project mothballed? No!
Work has been going on although at a slower pace than before.
Temperatures here in Sweden has been below 0oC and the shop had no heating what so ever so temperatures there were also .. sub-zero.
Last week I managed to get my hands on a diesel fueled heater so now we’re able to maintain about 15oC and that’s quite ok.
Enough rambling, what’s cooking?
First I did some shortering of the cardan shaft to accomodate the longer 722-transmission (the original transmission is so laughable small it could be from a small motorcycle..). Here’s a picture of the very scientifically exact method (this is a “not joke”..) used in joining two parts of cut-up cardan shaft.
The leftmost part is what I cut from the W123’s cardan, and the rightmost part is what I took from Franzes original parts. Another picture showing length comparison of the part that I removed from the W111’s cardan, compared to the finished result.
All in all I think this new combo is about 12-13cm shorter than it was before. It’s only temporarily welded together as you can see, I’m not going to weld this together myself since the end result propably would vibrate my car to pieces.
Finally a picture of the entire drivetrain assembly.. or not. Quite impossible to take such a picture so this is for your pure Benzophile enjoyment. I promise though, the cardan assembly is all there! Really. Even test fitted the engine again and it all fits perfectly.
Use the grease, Luke… I’ve managed to negotiate a deal with a local falafel restaurant, they’re giving me about 20 liters (5 gallons) used cooking oil a week. Nice deal so far since I even haven’t got the car put together.. Oil seems to be of a good quality, did the frying pan test and it shows no water what so ever. Cool! So time to start filtering, bought some nice oil drums to make a filtering assembly of, it’s going to be very similar to this. Here’s a WVO porn picture of the to-be-refinery-drums.
Poured over the oil I’ve got so far (2 20 liter buckets) in one of the drums. Man this sh-t stinks horribly! And the stuff I found at bottom of the buckets.. almost threw up on looking at it. The good part is of course that the oil had settled fairly well and left some 2 liters per bucket of this yellowish sludge that I definitively not need in my engine.
Did some shopping too.
Found a nice set of injection line heaters on eBay, here’s a pic (fresh outta box). Seller says it will heat up the lines to about 90oC and I have yet to test this but have so far no doubts about it.
And finally a real cool deal, got this from UtahBiodiesel Supply. No greaser is complete without one! Matches nicely the original 230S-badge even though it’s made to imitate the W123’s lettering style.
That’s about all for now.