So Franz finally got some fresh air and sun.
Last thursday the time had come to test drive Franz a bit to see how things are working out.
Below is the video of Franzes first run, ever!
Immediately noticed that loud clicking sound coming from underneath (that’s why I look so worried), I checked it out on friday and it turned to be a loose bolt on the cardan shaft mounting at the flex plate. That’s wrenched tight now and everything seems to be running fine.
Test drove once more again and Franz merrily speeds up to 50km/h and the tranny is shifting smooth as silk (went up to third). Maybe that quick and dirty vacuum job really does work?? 🙂 Didn’t want to run faster due to limited space at the site, the cardan shaft is still only temporarily welded together and the brakes definitively needs some working.
Also noticed a small dripping oil leak from a line going to the oil pressure gauge, think I fixed it now.
Current status is that Franz is once again standing on four steel legs, took the cardan shaft off to get it to a professional machine shop for welding and balancing. Been doing some interior work now. Hooked up a radio (although no speakers yet), lubricated all the wires from dash to the heater (levers hardly moved before) and began polishing up the chromework. Some fun-to-do smaller jobs, I really need them now as relaxation from the pulling engines / wrenching cardans-type of jobs.
Here’s a picture of the interior, if you’ve ever been in a fintail you’ll notice this is not particulary different. Not a show car but nothing is cracked or broken, could be polished a bit to a nice shine. New carpets and more, could make a difference!